Saturday, May 07, 2005

Summer

Summer. I can smell it in the air. It is mid-May and already my windows are closed tight to keep the humidity out and the air conditioning in. I love summer. As it approaches I watch the anticipation in my children grow. School is winding down, plans are being made and all the world is fresh and new.

Summer reminds me of awaking on Saturday morning to find all the windows open and REO Speedwagon blasting from the speakers. The summer breeze mixed with the faint scent of bleach and my mom standing on the couch cleaning the big mirror that hung on the wall. The sound of birds singing, children playing at the park across the street and the washer and dryer in the back room.

Summer meant evenings watching my mom and uncles at softball games. Playing with friends on one of the unused fields or exploring the train tracks on the hill behind the ballpark. It was sunflower seeds & licorice, the scream of adoring fans from the stands (us kids), and my mom in short shorts and a t-shirt with the sleeves rolled up to her shoulders (she is so beautiful!). After the game, we would load up and drive across the street to Dairy Queen where we would join what seemed like the entire community for a chocolate dipped cone.

Summer was finishing our chores before mom came home for lunch. Then we would be free to swim the rest of the afternoon away at the municipal pool. It meant splashing and laughing. High dives and Fun Dip candy. A few blocks walk to my cousin Shera's house where we would dance to U2 until we collapsed on the family room sofas.

It was amazing light displays over the Kansas prairie from electrical storms in the distance. Watching funnel clouds form over the lake and the mixture of excitement and fear as the air grows thick and still. There is nothing like standing in awe of the power and beauty of a tornado. Right before you sprint to the basement, that is! HA!

Summer is glorious! Fireflies, friends, sunburns, campouts, roller skates, cool breezes, porch swings, sprinklers, and freedom. I love summer.

1 comment:

... said...

I have wonderful memories of fireworks on the 4th with my parents, hearing lawnmowers through the open windows, and seeing streaks in the sky from jet planes that are so high you can only see their trails.

Long days of nothing to do have passed me by now. I remember being bored at the end of summer and my mom being anxious for school to start back up. I remember going to the ice cream shop after dinner, and watching dry lightening with my dad in the backyard.

I recall sleeping the backyard with all the neighborhood kids, riding my bike all day long, spending from sun up to sun down at the park in Ashland, and laying on the warm sidewalk to dry after running through the spinklers.

This year, I will miss my walks along Zanpa beach, canoeing at Torii, and diving in clear blue, warm waters. I guess I will have to make some new memories here to hold me over until we move somewhere new.