Monday, May 23, 2005

Ring

Okay, breathe, breathe. Oddly enough, I have been very composed during this difficult time – strike that, tragedy. I have lost my ring. Well, not the “ring” per-se', but the STONE from my ring. This is the ring that Alex had his grandmother send to me for our 10-year anniversary. I LOVE THIS RING! It is magnificent. A beautiful dark blue sapphire surrounded by eighteen diamonds. Stunning. It must have come loose when I was cleaning Braeden and Micaiah’s room on Wednesday. I remember hitting it against the wall, but it didn't seem loose when I checked it.

Saturday morning I decided to be lazy. I even skipped a baby shower because I didn't feel like getting dressed before noon. When I finally decided to drag my rear out of bed and hop in the shower, it was about 12:30. Lazy, lazy, lazy. Anyhow, after my shower I went through my usual regimen of lotion, blow-dry, iron clothes, make-up, dress, body spray, jewelry. I distinctly remember looking at the stone and wiping a smudge off it. Then I was out the door.

The kids and I loaded in the van and drove to Torii beach, music blaring, wind in our hair, my right hand hanging out the window….I may have lost it then, dunno. We arrived at the BBQ about 2:00. The kids were off to play at the park, or the beach, or both. I made my usual rounds…”Hi Rain”, “Heya, Joan”, “’Sup Dan and Ben”. There was much talking, which means my hands were moving 100 miles an hour. Moreover, I am a big hugger, so many pats on the back. Could have lost it then.

An hour or so into the BBQ Joan was introducing me to some new people when she says “Oh Randi, what happened to your ring?” What? I look down and staring back at me is a big empty space where my sapphire used to reside. *gasp* Oh god, what am I going to do?

Enter slight fear then composure. There was absolutely nothing I could do about this situation. I made a quick announcement to the group that the stone was missing and if anyone happened upon it could they please let me know. Then the search began. Fifteen grown men and a handful of women (not to mention all the kids) were walking around heads down scanning the ground. We must have been quite the sight! Bob was kind enough to ask where I had been standing….CURSES on my social butterfly status!! “Well, over there, and there, I was over there for a bit, and over here…” For heaven’s sake! Am I completely incapable of standing in ONE place for an hour?!

Joan and Rain kept insisting they would be in tears had it been thier ring. Nevertheless, I was not. For a brief moment, I thought my husband wound freak. Then I came to my senses and realized that Alex rarely freaks out about anything. He will likely never buy me another piece of jewelry, but he will not be upset.

I have since searched the van, the house, and we have even returned to the scene of the loss, but to no avail. The gem is long gone. I miss my ring. My finger looks terribly lonely and empty without it. There is a bright side however…this may very well constitute another trip to Thailand. Where better to pick up a shiny new sapphire?! If only I could convince Alex. If only!

1 comment:

... said...

I can not believe you lost that stone....I think I heard about that stone forever, and I know you must be heartbroken. Thailand is a great place to get sapphires...I think I got all but one of mine there...and they are the real deal at least if you get them at Venus they are.