Saturday, May 14, 2005

Pet Update

In Remembrance of "Harold". The very short & sweet addition to our family.

Poor, poor Marsha is in tears. After tanning this morning, K and I ran out to Foster to search for Guinea Pig bedding. Jackpot! I bought two bricks of red cedar shavings for little Harold. Upon returning home, Marsha proceeded to carefully move Harold to a deep Rubbermaid container and set it high on the table.

As Marsha was hosing out the cage, Grag heard a small squeal and saw Sumo clinching poor Harold between his teeth. That dog must have worked very hard to reach that container. Grag yelled, Marsha screamed, and they both lunged at Sumo who immediately disposed of Harold in our yard. Holt kids & neighbor kids alike came running from all directions. "MOMMA, MOMMA HELP HIM!!!!!" As I sat staring into the large purple Rubbermaid box, I watched as Harold grasped for life. One, two, three breaths...And then he went limp.

Marsha broke into tears and I held her, my heart breaking for my baby girl. Jan and her friend Jane walked Marsha slowly to her bedroom, consoling her all the while. Grag disappeared for a moment and re-emerged with his friend Jon and a plastic sack. I tired desperately to pick Harold up, but couldn't bring myself to do it. So Grag gently lifted the Guinea Pig and placed him in the Girl Scout Cookie bag. He tied the bag, took the box, poured a bit of bleach in, and called for Marsha.

There, huddled around the metal garbage can at the side of the house, were all six of my babies and two little neighbor children comforting Marsha. "He was a cute guinea Pig," Jan said. "He was nice, but smelly.”Remarked Jon. "He will be missed," said Grag as he said a little prayer. I half expected Grag to whip out his guitar and lead the tiny congregation in song. Instead, everyone walked Marsha back into the house. I looked into her red eyes so full of pain and sadness, wrapped my arms around her and gave my condolences.

She will likely never look at old Sumo the same again. I probably wouldn't either. I suppose I will go buy her a flower and a card. Such a sad sad lesson to learn.

2 comments:

... said...

How horrible...

I hope Ashton is feeling better about it soon. That sounds so unSumo like...so sad.

On another note, "tanning"???? Do you mean in the sun or in a electronic gadget? Just curious.

Ronda said...

Oh Ashton, I am very sorry about Harold. This reminds me of our dog Dukey when we were growing up. He was a wienie dog and a very good family dog. But I think he was jealous when we got a new pet. He like to chomp on them. I guess after a while we got used to it. Turtles, chameleons, hampsters, whatever he could get to. Don't be too mad at Sumo, I think it is part of the way he is made. Hope you feel better. Love, always grandma:}